1. Spanish citizenship by Golden Visa
This method is suitable for wealthy people who want to move to Spain or travel around the EU without a visa with the whole family.
The Spanish golden visa program offers several investment options to choose from:
- buy residential or commercial real estate or land for €500,000;
- purchase government bonds for €2,000,000;
- invest €1,000,000 in Spanish companies;
- place €1,000,000 in a deposit account in a Spanish bank
See more here: https://buenosabogados.es/what-are-spanish-golden-visas/
2. Spanish citizenship by naturalization
You can apply for Spanish citizenship after 10 years of residence in Spain. All applicants must prove that they are a good citizen. This means that you must be financially stable and have no criminal record. In addition, you must show a sufficient degree of integration into Spanish society. For example, you can speak Spanish and you take part in social activities that are part of the Spanish way of life.
There are exemptions to the 10 year rule. Refugees only have to wait five years before they can apply for Spanish nationality. Nationals from Spanish-American countries, Andorra, the Philippines, Equatorial Guinea, Portugal, and those of Sephardic origin only have to wait two years.
3. Spanish citizenship for family reunification
The path related to family reunification begins with a Spanish residence permit. This means that family members, for example, the spouse of a Spanish citizen, their parents, and the children that they have in common, can obtain a residence permit by special permission without being restricted by the quota set by the government.
4. Spanish citizenship by origin or choice
The “right of blood” applies in Spain. This means that a child is considered to be of Spanish origin in the following circumstances:
- at least one of the parents has Spanish citizenship;
- one of the parents was born in Spain;
- the child is adopted by a Spanish citizen.
5. Spanish Citizenship by Descent “Grandchildren Law”
For details about this have a look at our earlier article https://buenosabogados.es/what-is-the-spanish-grandchildren-law/
6. Spanish citizenship through marriage
After marriage, citizenship can be obtained after a couple lives together for a year in Spain. It is important to be in the country legally, based on a valid visa or residence permit.
7. Spanish citizenship based on guardianship
A person who is under the guardianship of citizens or institutions of Spain is eligible to become a citizen. They need to continuously live in the country for just one year instead of the standard 10 years.